Day 201 – San Martin de Los Andes, AR to San Carlos de Bariloche, AR

Day 201 – San Martin de Los Andes, AR to San Carlos de Bariloche, AR      03/10/11     Mileage: 126

In the daylight my stealth campsite ended up not being so stealth, but it was still free and nobody bothered me. I rode back a few miles to San Martin de Los Andes to have a better look around and some breakfast which I found and quaint cafe.

I really like San Martin…I wish I could spend more time here…but I need to keep moving south. The road to San Carlos de Barlioche from San Martin passed by some spectacular alpine lakes and the scenery was great despite the light rain that was falling.

More lines for gas…..and this station is in a very wealthy resort town….so it’s not a money thing….

I saw these maps for sale and it dawned on me I just crossed another off my life list….to go to Patagonia…

Looking acorss thelake to San Carlos de Bariloche…

I rolled into Bariloche mid-afternoon and found a hostel thanks to another biker who came up to me and told me where he was staying. Brian is from the UK on his BMW F800 and is doing nearly the same trip as me…it’s hard to believe we didn’t bump into each other until now! I settled in and tried to update the blog but the internet at the hostel was pretty bad. At night I wandered out for a look around, some dinner and a bit of fine chocolate which is one thing that Bariloche is famous for.

San Carlos de Bariloche at night….

13 Responses to Day 201 – San Martin de Los Andes, AR to San Carlos de Bariloche, AR

1. Lynn Hilliard says:

Is there any chance you’ll get down to the coast in Patagonia? I’ve seen some outstanding photos of the wildness.

• Lenny says:

I will be crossing back over the Andes to Chile in the next few days, then south down the Carretera Austral which runs along the fjords of southern Chile….and from all accounts it’s supposed to be spectacular!

2. carla friedman says:

I am so impressed at the research you have done to know all about the towns and where you are going. I am having trouble updating my phone and you are off on an adventure and sending us updates. Amazing. Love the little towns and the gas lines…. we don’t have those yet but I imagine we may soon. Enjoy.

• Lenny says:

Ha…thanks Carla. I was reading about this trip for years….countless books and hours on the internet just in case life circumstances gave me the chance to go….which fortunately they did… 🙂

3. paul says:

Lenny…so no obvious reasons for the gas shortages? are you hearing any opinions from the locals on this, some of the areas you can’t get gas are places i had penciled in for a fill up!!!

paul

• Lenny says:

I’m not sure of the reason, but it’s fair to say that you’ll want to top up the tank at every opportunity in the remote areas of Western Argentina and consider carrying extra gas…I’m carrying 2 extra gallons. And when there is gas sometimes the lines are looooong…..so extra gas gives you options then as well…

4. paul says:

this is what i could find out on the internet for you (below) it a long read but at least you’ll know where you stand…theres 315,000 barrels on the way from the US but that will take a while to get to southern argentina…so make sure you fill up at every opportunity

Gov’t says to ensure refineries at full capacity

* Threatens to control exports if shortages continue

* YPF says rivals selling less, forcing it to import

* Energy firms say gov’t price controls deter investment (Adds details, inspectors, political context, byline)

By Helen Popper

BUENOS AIRES, March 10 (Reuters) – Argentina’s government accused energy companies Royal Dutch Shell and Petrobras on Wednesday of deliberately causing gasoline shortages in order to force rival YPF to raise its prices.

Planning Minister Julio De Vido said the government would take steps to ensure the country’s oil refineries were working at full capacity and threatened to limit companies’ fuel exports if the shortages continued.

“Shell (RDSa.L) and Petrobras (PETR4.SA) are disrupting the refining of oil to create a shortage in the domestic market and force YPF to increase its prices,” De Vido said in a statement.

The government’s inflation watchdog, Domestic Commerce Secretary Guillermo Moreno, will also send inspectors to monitor supplies at the country’s service stations, where rationing has been imposed in recent weeks.

The measures come a day after YPF, the local unit of Spanish oil major Repsol (REP.MC), said it was importing 50 million liters of gasoline, or 315,000 barrels, from the United States following heavy demand that depleted its stocks and caused shortages at service stations. [ID:nN09238081]

YPF (YPFD.BA), which sells gasoline at slightly cheaper prices, also accused its competitors of putting less of the fuel on sale as a way to force it raise its prices.

YPF, which used to be a government oil company, had a 57.3 percent share of the country’s gasoline market in January and sales volume surged last year to a record.

The company’s size means it has lower operating costs than its rivals, allowing it to sell gasoline at a slightly lower price. It also relies entirely on its own oil, refining and transport operations in fuel production.

Esso, the Argentine unit of Exxon Mobil (XOM.N), has denied YPF’s accusations. Petrobras said on Tuesday it had not experienced gasoline shortages at its service stations and that its refineries were operating normally.

No one at Shell could immediately be reached for comment

Fuel costs in Argentina, which imports diesel but has exported gasoline historically, are about 15 percent below the international average because of government price controls aimed at stemming already high inflation.

Fuel used by haulage companies and passenger transport firms is also subsidized to keep down the cost of bus tickets, food and other goods.

Energy companies operating in Latin America’s No. 3 economy have called for pump prices to be hiked as an incentive to boost investment in production and exploration for new reserves of crude and natural gas as energy demand grows.

Argentina’s proven oil and natural gas reserves fell 9 percent and 39 percent, respectively, between 2001 and 2008, and exports have plunged.

President Cristina Fernandez and her husband and predecessor former President Nestor Kirchner have stepped up state control in the economy, irking farmers and businesses by intervening in the market.

It is not the first time the presidential couple have taken aim at Shell. In 2005, Kirchner urged Argentines to boycott the Anglo-Dutch energy giant’s service stations after it raised prices.

YPF controls more than half of Argentina’s refining capacity and nearly 40 percent of its oil output. It has three refineries with a combined capacity of just over 50,000 million liters of crude per day. (Additional reporting by Walter Bianchi and Eduardo Garcia; editing by Julie Ingwersen)

5. Arlene says:

Tuesday afternoon on March 15th and I see that you did start riding around 11:30am topday. Glad you were able to leave and ride and that you got your card. Thanks for the quick phone call but it was so noisy and I couldn’t hear you. But always great to get a chance to say hello, even if just for 5 minutes.

Wondering if Brian from the UK and you are riding together??? Be well, you seem very happy and drive safe. Love, Mom

6. Arlene says:

March 17th and I bet you had no St Patrick’s day parties????????? Glad to see that you are getting closer to the” bottom”……..like you did when you went to Alaska, you got there just in time not to get snowed in.

Thinking of you. Be well, drive safe. Love ya, Mom and Dad

7. Arlene says:

Hi Melinda, wondering if you ever got my e-mail?????? It has been really hectic for us and hoping you and yours are all well and happy. Arlene aka Mom

8. Arlene says:

Pictures and stories are beyond believe. I was surprised to see one of the pictures having a enclosed walkway from one side of the street to another……..I know that Las Vegas has that.
    That Hotel is situated in the middle of Heaven…….do they have a Golf Course????
    Lenny, I saw that you answered Becki but I didn’t see what she wrote to you……I have been wondering how they are and if they were still following you. She and Scott were so very welcoming and helpful to you. We are looking forward to our trip to Alaska……we hear such wonderful reviews from friends.
    Your meeting Alex is really getting to be funny. Looked like you had fun hanging out with the bunch of young people. As I tell people….you are having the time of your life and we are along for the ride.
    Be well and safe. Love you, Mom