Day 133 – Rionegro, CO to Santa Barbara, CO

Day 133 – Rionegro, CO to Santa Barbara, CO      01/01/11      Mileage: 116

Morning came and I was up around 9…which is not bad considering we didn’t get home until after 3. I packed up the bike, thanked my hosts for their generous hospitality and then hit the road. Given the late start, I wasn’t going to get very far, so I had the modest goal of Manizales some 160 miles away via all back roads. That was the plan anyway…but what I really did was chase roads that were on the map but did not exist, and find roads that did exist but are not on any map. I had to backtrack some 20+ miles today because of a road that simply wasn’t there…I hate backtracking! I also had to give up my goal of getting to Manizales to backtrack to a hotel before nightfall. So as far as progress goes today, I went almost nowhere…but the riding was great and I guess you could say I had a great time getting nowhere! Here are the pics…

You could use that leaf for an umbrella!

One of countless landslides on the road….

Now we’re having fun!

They weren’t kidding!

This landslide took the whole road with it, so they just carved out a new temporary path across it. Just don’t fall off to the right side, it’s a looooooong way down!

Now where did I put that coin?

Now that was a great day of riding!!!!  🙂

7 Responses to Day 133 – Rionegro, CO to Santa Barbara, CO

1. carla friedman says:

Unbelievable…the roads washed out are amazing…… hope your are not sore.

• Lenny says:

It is a bit crazy sometimes riding on the back roads in the mountains…you can’t let your guard down for a second or you might ride off into oblivion! It’s good fun though and great “adventure” riding…

2. Deborah says:

This might be my fave post thus far… all about the importance of journey and not the destination! Stunning photos as usual!

3. Lynn Hilliard says:

Wow! Aren’t you glad you didn’t come across any of those roads in the dark? Where did you sleep that night? The leaf reminds me of “Avatar”. LOL

• Lenny says:

For sure! That’s why I started backtracking to Santa Barbra an hour and a half before sundown…I knew I could find a room there. I ended up in a little place that rented cabinas that were so so…but served the purpose.

4. Tracy says:

Again, jealous. Wish I was riding on the back!!! Fun fun.