Day 132 – Medellin, CO to Rionegro, CO

Day 132 – Medellin, CO to Rionegro, CO      12/31/10      Mileage: 26

This morning a ran a few more errands before packing up the bike. Tonight of course was New Years and I was once again invited to join the festivities up in Rionegro with Lilly, Santiago, and their extended family.

The view of Medellin from the road up to Rionegro.

Santiago and Pablo’s family “farm” in Rionegro.

They had made reservations for the whole family (and me!) at the local country club, which was great! I felt a tad under dressed in my low top hiking shoes, blue short sleeve shirt and Mountain Hardwear jacket, but it will have to do. I’ll let the pictures do the talking, but suffice to say it was a late night and a good time was had by all!

12 Responses to Day 132 – Medellin, CO to Rionegro, CO

1. carla friedman says:

Such fun…… you look fantastic….. Happy new Year

2. Arlene says:

Ditto to what Carla said. I did speak to Lilly, David’s wife, and she loved the pictures and was so glad you were able to connect with her Mom and family. She was anxious to see New Year’s eve and when I saw them this morning………..i couldn’t believe it. They are all such beautiful people and you look great!!

Be “talking” to you. Love ya, Mom

3. Lynn Hilliard says:

Whoa! It looks as if you’re having a wonderful time. Good for you and Happy New Year. I so look forward to seeing your beautiful pictures and having my conception of Colombia changed. So, soooo jealous.

• Lenny says:

Happy New Year Lynn! Yeah, a lot of people are saying that. I think the general perception of Colombia in the US is out dated and stuck somewhere in the 90’s. Colombia is beautiful and generally as safe as anywhere else.

4. Arlene says:

Looks like UPS is sending back the package with the maps,etc. that I sent to Quito, Ecuador last week. I guess the fact that the parts didn’t arrive yet threw you off by over a week. Maybe someone has an idea of how to get the package with the maps to you?? Never know if someone knowa of someone traveling there in the next few weeks. Will let you know what I find out at the UPS store in Toms River.

Love ya, Mom

5. Arlene says:

WENT TO THE UPS IN TR AND THE PACKAGE IS IN EQUADOR AND THEY NEED SOME MORE INFO AND I WENT THERE AND TOOK CARE OF IT. I DID E-MAIL YOU THE PHONE NUMBER OF THE UPS IN EQUADOR AND WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE STILL GETTING E-MAILS FROM ME.

WE GOT ABOUT 6 INCHES OF SNOW AND NORTH JERSEY DIDN’T GET ANY. NEVER KNOW WHERE IT WILL HIT.

HOPE YOU HAVE AN EASY TIME GETTING THROUGH THE BORDER QUICKLY. BE WELL AND BE SAFE. LOVE YA, MOM

6. Patricia (OMahony) Ismail says:

still living vicariously through you…what an amazing journey you’re on. As you approach day 150, can you give us some thoughts as to how you are feeling thus far on your journey…is it what you expected thus far? what are your thoughts going forward for the next 50, 100, ?? days? what do you miss most? what do you not miss at all? curious about those things….

keep enjoying the ride!

• Lenny says:

Hey Patricia! Great to hear from you! Yeah, it’s been an amazing experience so far and I don’t have a single regret except for maybe not doing it sooner! I still look forward to getting on the bike everyday and enjoy every new experience. As soon as that’s not the case, I’ll park the bike and put the trip on hold, go back to work and then continue when I’ve refreshed my desire to travel. I’m prepared to do that if that happens, but so far a look forward to every new day! What I don’t miss is easy…the corporate grind! I do miss my family and friends of course…and like I put on Facebook…my skis and mountain bike too! Lol. Anyway, thanks for checking in and I hope all is well with you. Happy New Year!

7. Tracy says:

I want it! (you know what that means, right?).