Day 215 – Rio Grande to Ushuaia, Argentina

Day 215 – Rio Grande to Ushuaia, Argentina     03/24/11     Mileage: 171

It was raining when I got up this morning, but I only had a little over 2 hours worth of riding to get down to Ushuaia…so I waited for a break in the rain and then got on the road. The scenery was nice for the first hour but was really good the last 40 or so miles up and over a small mountain pass.

They even have this sign that tells you where to take the picture…though…that is one funny looking camera!

I would have stopped for more pictures, but I had this need to just get there! Once over the pass, it was a nice roll down a picturesque valley until the sign for Ushuaia came into view.

And that was it…7 months and 3 days after setting out from New Jersey, I was finally here in Ushuaia, the self proclaimed “Southernmost City in the World.” I’ve seen many pictures of it before, but the town is in a spectacular setting on the Beagle Channel surrounded by mountains…and is much nicer in person than in pictures….not at all what I expected.

And while Ushuaia might be the last town on the road south, the road itself, Ruta 3, continues another 20 kilometers into the Parque Nacional del Tierra del Fuego to the very end of the road….and after dropping my bag at the hotel,  that was my next stop. Just on the other side of town the road turned to dirt before arriving at the entrance to park.

The scenery was again much better than I expected and remember from the pictures. The trees were turning in the autumn weather and there was snow on the high peaks…it was spectacular.

Then, around a bend in the road the famous sign that I have seen in so many other pictures came into view…the literal end of the road south.

In English:
Land of Fire National Park
Lapataia Bay
Republic of Argentina
Here is the end of National Route No. 3
Buenos Aires: 1,913 miles
Alaska: 11, 090 miles

If my eyesight was as good as Sarah Palin I might be able to see Antarctica.  😉  I took the requisite pictures, smoked a big cigar that Johnny O gave me before the trip and lingered for a bit to reflect and take it all in. Well, that was it…nothing left to do but point my trusty KLR north and head for home…

16 Responses to Day 215 – Rio Grande to Ushuaia, Argentina

1. Tim James says:

Congratulations Lenny! What an outstanding adventure! Safe travels on your journey home.

2. Jenn Durrua says:

WoW! Congratulations Lenny! You did it! Rest up! save up! and plan to do some sailing with me in about 9 years. Now on the way up north stop at some of those places that you didn’t have time for. Be safe and keep posting! Really hope to meet up with you when you get back to NJ.
    Jenn

• Lenny says:

Hey Jenn! Well, I’ll start saving as soon as I get back! I really think that is something I have to do at some point. Jilly and I always talked about it…just have to make it happen! Hope all is well with you and kids…..see you when I get back!

3. Tracy says:

Gheesh. This kinda brought a tear to my eye.

4. Lynn Hilliard says:

So, how did it feel to finally be there? Anti-climatic or fantastic?

5. Nancy says:

I need to figure out how I’m going to distract myself from work…you need to start another adventure as I’m so bored with FB…..and can’t bare working ALL day 🙂

6. Janus says:

Terrific trip, terrific blog, terrific pictures!

I am a friend of one of the Polish bikers (Jacek and Andrzej), whom you met somewhere in Peru or Ecuador, to be more specific Jacek’s friend. I found your blog through them, followed you after and that was great. So you are saying it’s finished? Sorry to hear that, but have a safe trip home.

You did accomplish your dream!

Any book to follow?

• Lenny says:

Hi Janus! That’s great…so glad you are following along. How are Jacek and Andrzej…I haven’t spoken with them since Peru…I hope the rest of their trip went well!

Nope…I’m not done with my trip quite yet…I still have to get home, and I’m planning on another 2-3 months of riding to get there!

7. Janus says:

Well, they are back home now, safe on the sofas, eating peanuts or pop-corns, drinking whatever they like, watching South America on HD TV, but just before the end of the trip Andrzej had the accident and broke his arm. Polish people are stubborn, so Andrzej’s son flew in, replaced him on the bike and he finished the route with Jacek. Mission accomplished.

Glad to hear that you are not back into boring IT so soon (I myself am in this business, so I know what it means, kids in the colleges thought… no dream trips for awhile).

I will keep spying on you. Good luck!

P.S. If you get stuck somewhere there on your trip home, I wouldn’t be surprised. This is a great continent. Just keep your blog going.

• Lenny says:

Hi Janus!

Wow….I’m so sorry to hear that Andrzej had an accident, but what a great story that his son finished the trip in his place…amazing. I always thought that if something happened to me, I’d want my riding buddies to pick the bike up and finish the trip in my place. Anyway, I’m in no big rush to get home….so the blog is not done yet!

Thanks!

-Lenny

8. Deborah says:

I, too, got a little teary eyed… (it’s a girl thing)… what an epic journey and I am pleased to have been along for the blog… and I will be looking forward to the trip north!! Couple of comments: #1… you better have checked yourself into a fancy schmancy hotel in Ushuaia and not a mean old hostel… live it up dude…you made it!!! #2 LMAO about seeing Antarctica (clearly you are now qualified to make proclamations and policy regarding said continent!!) 🙂

Now… I’m looking forward to the Africa trip!!!! After you write your book about this one first!!!!

Love, deb

• Lenny says:

Thanks so much Deb! I’m so glad you came along with me! I knew you would get the Sarah Palin refernce…I wonder how many other people got that?? LOL I’m at a fancy schmancy hostal….which is to say flush toilets and heat! Ha! The next trip is fermenting in my head, but it’s too soon to say anything yet…. 😉

Hope all is well with you Deb!