Day 212 – La Herreria to El Calafate, Argentina

Day 212 – La Herreria to El Calafate, Argentina      03/21/11       Mileage: 293

The wind…it hounded me all night and was blowing so hard I can’t believe my tent is still in one piece…score one for Mountain Hardware. So while it did not cave the tent in, it did however fill the inside of it..and cover me with a fine powdery dirt that was able to get by the fine tent mesh. My sleeping bag, helmet…everything had a layer of dirt on it…and my boots were filled with it…just f–king grand. So with the wind still howling out of the west, I broke camp and continued south on Ruta 40. The road surface was loose gravel….which by itself can be slippery, but it’s fine. But when combined with a 40 mph cross wind…it royally sucks. The loose gravel offers little traction, so the wind essentially has it’s way with you, blowing you and the bike several feet left or right at will….whether that’s off the road, into an oncoming truck or into the 6-12 inch deep gravel berms that will throw you down in heap. This goes on for hour upon nerve racking hour of desolate road…and might be the only time on this entire trip where I actually would have preferred to be at work…that’s how much it sucked!

In the misery I wasn’t compelled to stop and take pictures…but I did take these two token shots….

The misery ended with the beginning of the pavement as the wind is then much more manageable. I rolled into and through El Calafate on my way to see the Perito Moreno Glacier….one of the first places I knew I wanted to see when planning this trip. It cost $25 to get in, but the sight before you does not disappoint.

To give you a sense of scale…look at the people at the bottom of the pictures…incredable!

The glacier was calving off into the lake and the sound of 5 story tall ice blocks tumbling into the water sounded like canons firing…it was unbelievable! I stood there and watched (and listened) in awe at what was one of the most amazing natural wonders I’ve ever seen. Afterwards I headed back to El Calafate and found a room, some dinner and a few beers. Tomorrow it’s back on the road south…

9 Responses to Day 212 – La Herreria to El Calafate, Argentina

1. Jilly says:

WOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

2. Arlene says:

Sorry about all the wind and flying dirt!!!!!!! But what came after is unbelievably a sight you will never forget. The pictures are great!!!!! We really are looking forward to our trip to Alaska and seeing the glaciers. I think when we look at you in the picture and the background……..amazing what nature does.

Great picture of Scott and Becki but where are their helmets??????? Hi Becki, isn’t Lenny doing great? He is gone already 7 months on this adventure. He has made some really great friends and you and Scott stick out in my mind.

Love ya Len, Mom

3. Nancy says:

The glaciers are incredibly beautiful. The sound must have been amazing.

Day 212…what an adventure! And for some reason it seems like you have been on he road much longer. How will you ever or will you ever be able to come home 🙂 We all miss you and look forward to all the untold stories 🙂

Happy trails…Nanc

4. Arlene says:

Wednesday night and I am so glad to see that you made Rio Grande tonight. Enjoy tomorrow and then you will be coming back eventually and we are looking forward to that. Everything is beyond belief.

I saw what Becki wrote and I still ask how whoever it is didn’t wear helmets????

Be well and be happy and safe. Love, Mom

• Lenny says:

Yeah, I didn’t get an early enough start after tracing and fixing that electrical short in the headlights this morning… Tomorrow…..Ushuaia for sure!

5. Pete Shebey says:

Lenny

Sorry I haven’t commented in a while but I still read the blog everyday religiously. Glacier was absolutely mind blowing in all aspects especially the color and size!

Glad to see that you are well and having a blast, stay safe!

Pete

6. Tracy says:

Ok, so I take my previous comment back. These pics are amazing. Again, one lucky dog.