Day 23 – Fairbanks, AK to Denali National Park

Day 23 – Fairbanks, AK to Denali National Park     09/12/10     Mileage: 123

I spent the morning updating the blog while I had a good internet connection. So, at the crack of noon, I set off for Denali National Park…..fortunately it’s only an hour and forty-five minutes down to Denali from Fairbanks.

A funny sign on the way to Denali. I really like the two polar bears humping, that's a nice touch.

The weather was spectacular…bright sun and cool…and the road followed a ridge overlooking two valleys and was a great ride!

View from the road on the way to Denali from Fairbanks.

Had lunch at this place...the Monderosa...actually quite good!

Inside the Monderosa...

Looking across the river into Denali NP

I pulled into Denali and got a campsite for two nights. I also signed up for the bus to take you deeper in the park…$30..ouch. I’m sure it will be worth every penny.

Denali!

View from the park road...

View from the park road...

The Alaska Range from the park road...

Denali (Mount McKinley) in the distance from the road...a rare treat!

The Alaska Range

On the way to the campsite, I could see Denali (Mount McKinley) in the distance which from what I understand is a rare treat, as it is often cloud covered even on the clearest days. My mother must really be in good with the Lord! LOL. Tomorrow I should get a better look at Denali…I’m looking forward to it!

11 Responses to Day 23 – Fairbanks, AK to Denali National Park

1. Paul Bell says:

Your pretty good at this (riding and reporting). Keep it up we all love it.

• Deborah says:

Right? He really IS good at this…I feel a book…possibly a new career in travel journalism / travel writing coming on….

2. Tracy says:

And if you write a book be sure to add the picture of “skinny dicks” in there somewhere. Wow.

3. Lynn Hilliard says:

Wow! I hadn’t realized Denali was usually cloud covered. When my cousin and I drove up we also got to see it quite clearly. We just drove up from Anchorage, didn’t really enter the park, and when the day was half over took pictures and headed back to Anchorage. It was a beautiful day and we had a really great time. You could see it just fine from where we were…didn’t have the money to stay overnight or go into the park, but what we saw was beautiful.

4. Aaron Tieman says:

Jilly sent the link to us. Come to San Francisco and see Kristi and I! We will have a bed and a meal if you like. Good Luck and Safe Travels. Aaron and Kristi

5. Carla Friedman says:

Todd and two of my cousins went there and Todd has always wanted to take his wife there. Pictures are gorgeous and I agree about your mom. She definitely has an in. ALso love the sign. Enjoy.

6. Arlene says:

WELL LEN, I GUESS I WAS NOT FAR OFF WITH SAYING THAT YOU CAN BE A TRAVEL HOST, WRITER, SPONSOR OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT WHEN YOU GET BACK. PEOPLE ON THE BLOG THAT SEND COMMENTS AGREE WITH ME. IT WAS IN MY E-MAIL THE OTHER DAY TO YOU. IT IS TRULY A PLEASURE READING WHAT YOU WRITE AND SEEING THOSE FANTASTIC PICTURES.

BET IT WAS VERY DIFFERENT GOING ON THE BUS TODAY AND I HOPE IT WAS EVEN MORE THAN YOU EXPECTED. STAY WARM AND STAY WELL. I WILL KEEP PRAYING FOR YOU AND GOOD WEATHER. LUV YA, MOM

7. Lisa Allen says:

You’re part of the 30% club. consider yourself VERY lucky!!

8. Nancy says:

I’m so intrigued to see each new day…complete with photo’s and commentary! And I know there are many more miles and stories to come…so proud of you and waiting for the next part of this exciting adventure 🙂

9. glenn durkee says:

alaska appeals to the boy,hope your having fun in the park G

10. Arlene says:

Hi Len, Just looked up time difference of NJ and Anchorage, Alaska and it is 4 hours earlier there. I bet you will be in Anchorage tonight. You sure are doing a great deal of riding today. Been following you since we got home tonight and started when we were up at Lisa’s.. Hard to beieve how much riding you are doing today. You must be exhausted?????

Dad is bike riding in the morning and I am going to the pool class for the first time in 10 weeks. You keep up the good job. Luy ya, Mom